Saturday, November 24, 2007

Don Asks Kaylynn

Don asked his friend Daniel Pleasant to invite both himself and Kaylynn over at the same time. Daniel hadn't seen Kaylynn for quite some time, and he wanted to know the truth as well. Daniel had once been very interested in Kaylynn. He knew this child wasn't his. He had tried...oh yes, he had tried. But Kaylynn had turned down his advances cold. So Daniel planned for Kaylynn and Don to meet at his house today. No one but himself would be home. Don stood facing Kaylynn. He had not seen her since the day of his wedding many months ago. They stood, staring silently at one another. Daniel, Kaylynn and Don sat in the living room in awkward silence. Daniel couldn't remember a time when he felt more uncomfortable. Should be stay? Or should be leave the two of them alone? He didn't know. He just wished someone would say...something...anything. He didn't know how much longer he could take this awful silence.
Don fixed some lunch for himself and his guests. Don finished eating and placed his dish in the sink. Kaylynn sat at the table, unable to eat. She and Don looked at each other as Don walked past."This is stupid," thought Don. "If I don't talk to her...ask her...then I'll leave not knowing any more than when I got here." Don followed Kaylynn into the bathroom. "Kaylynn, I need to know. Am I the father of the child you are carrying?" Don held his breath, waiting for the answer he was sure would come. "Yes," whispered Kaylynn softly, "You are the father. But don't worry. No one will know. And besides...there's someone else in life now." He wasn't sure just why, but the thought of someone else raising his child was distasteful to Don. "Wait a minute! If this is my child, then I want him or her to know who I am...their real father. And I want to have a place in his or her life!" Kaylynn looked at Don with surprise and a new respect. "Okay, Don. I want you to be a part of our child's life as well." Secretly, Kaylynn wondered if Don would follow through with wht he had said. I guess she would just have to wait and see. She hoped he was sincere because her child would need a mother and a father.

No comments: